Westminster Foundation for Democracy is seeking to appoint a new Independent Governor.
WFD works to support representative, multi-party democracy in developing and transition countries. It is a Non-Departmental Public Body sponsored by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
The principal role of the WFD Board of Governors is to consider, decide on, and review matters of policy, direction and strategy, and to ensure that the resources available to WFD are being properly applied in accordance with its purpose, goals and objectives.
- to approve WFD’s Accounts, Strategic Framework, Corporate and Business Plans.
- to review implementation of the WFD Strategic Framework, including through its three subsidiary Committees on Programme Quality, Audit and Risk Assurance, and Terms and Conditions.
- to ensure that WFD is administered and managed effectively in keeping with its Memorandum and Articles of Association, the FCO/WFD Management Statement and Financial Memorandum, and the Cabinet Office’s Code of Practice for Board Members of Public Bodies.
- to oversee the work of the Chief Executive and his/her staff.
- to promote the organisation through relevant networks and by advising on strategic direction.
The position is unpaid. Reasonable travel costs within the UK to attend meetings and events will be reimbursed. From time to time Governors may also be invited to undertake some travel or other activities on behalf of the Foundation, for which they will be reimbursed expenses incurred.
The successful candidate will be expected to attend four Board meetings a year in London. These meetings normally last between two and three hours. Governors also serve on at least one of the Programme Quality, Audit and Risk Assurance, or Terms and Conditions Committees during their tenure. This could mean attending 8-10 WFD meetings per year plus ad hoc events and travel.
12 November 2017.
More information, including the person specification and information pack, can be found on the Cabinet Office website.
All applicants are required to submit a letter detailing their experience and relevant skills against the job specification, together with a full CV. Please also provide the names and contact details of two referees who can be contacted if you are short-listed for interview.
All applications should be sent to Sandip.Rama@fco.gov.uk