Team Leader, Parliamentary Support
Based in Skopje, Macedonia
Full Time – Fixed Term contract
Project duration – 2018 – 2023 (with possible extension)
Competitive International rate, benefits and relocation support available
Expression of interest at this stage
WFD is pursuing funding for the project Macedonia – Parliament Support Programme Phase 1: 2018 – 2023. programme to support the further development of the national parliament of the Republic of Macedonia – the Assembly of Republic of Macedonia in its different functions. The programme will focus on three areas – institutional development, oversight and legislative process, and openness/open data policy – aiming to contribute directly to the following outcomes:
- The Assembly functions more efficiently and more inclusively, offering equal rights and equal access to quality services to all MPs (institutional strengthening of the Assembly)
- The Assembly’s oversight and legislative functions are strengthened.
- Citizens and CSOs, especially marginalised groups, make use of an adequate access to the work of the Assembly through strengthened transparency and accountability of the Assembly.
Main Purpose of the Role
WFD is looking for an experienced Team Leader, to serve as a key expert in the proposal and on the Programme if the bid is successful. The Team Leader will provide strategic and operational direction of the programme.
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Relevant undergraduate education in political sciences, law, or other related social science studies. Graduate level education in political science/parliament/public administration reform studies and/or professional training in parliament related topics is considered a plus
- Strong managerial skills including result-oriented management, strategic planning, human resources management, and financial management skills. Confirmed experience in programme management and in the management of a team comparable in size and scope.
- Strong experience in steering and coaching, strong decision-making ability, capacity to anticipate issues and identify forward-looking solutions
- Strong subject knowledge on development of Parliaments and public administration reform
Capacity to establish effective coordination/collaboration with the donor and with other international projects.
- Proven ability to play a strong facilitation role in reaching consensus among various political factions on politically sensitive issues, reform priorities and implementation;
- Excellent communication skills, pronounced ability to work with a wide range of partners, strong communications and networking capacity; and
- Excellent English language capacities. Knowledge of Macedonian and/or Albanian will be considered a plus
- The foreseen project Team Leader should have no political or other affiliations that could adversely affect the reputation of the project. If he/she is a current or previous holder of political functions, this should be clearly indicated
And the following experience:
- Managing and coordinating complex interventions in parliament development;
- Pronounced ability and extensive experience in political liaising, mediation and negotiation with high- level officials/highest level politicians on reform processes;
- Leading policy dialogue;
- Proven track record in building local entities’ capacities to gradually take on a stronger implementation role is a plus;
- Proven track record of successful coordination and collaboration with other donor-funded programmes in similar situations;
- Excellent knowledge of and experience in implementation of international best practices in legislative development;
- Thorough understanding of the socio-political situation in the Western Balkans and/or Macedonia; professional experience in transition countries and, preferentially, in Macedonia is a plus;
- Experience in institutional reform, institution-building and/or facilitating significant changes/introduction of international best practices in parliaments;
Experience with on-budget support of government institutions is considered a plus.
The purpose of this call is to source potential experts to support WFD proposal for funding to work in Macedonia. Therefore, the offer of any work to the successful candidate will be subject to the outcome of the proposal.
Therefore, at this stage it is an expression of interest and further details of the role will be provided at later stages, if the funding is acquired.
This role is suitable for international candidates. And since this is a locally based field role, the successful candidate must be willing to relocate.
Expression of interest
If you are interested, please get in touch with Julia Teixeira (firstname.lastname@example.org) providing your CV addressing the points above (preferably in EU format) and rate/salary expectations.
Please quote: “MK/ Team Leader/ Long-term” in the subject line of your email. Deadline for the expression of interest is 13 February, however CVs will be reviewed as they are received, and a candidate may be selected before the deadline.
Note: Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.