Based in Victoria, London (with approximately one week of travel every 6 to 8 weeks)
Full Time – Fixed Term Contract Until March 2021
Salary range: £58,452 – £69,093 gross per annum
Civil Service pension- defined benefit: Generous employer contribution up to 27.9%
25 days paid annual leave and 8 public holidays
Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) is currently recruiting for a Regional Director for Africa to shape and develop our work in sub-Saharan Africa.
WFD has a significant portfolio of programmes in the region including in DRC, The Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, South Africa and Uganda. We also have plans for further programmes including in Ethiopia.
We are looking for someone who is passionate about the region and with solid evidence of delivery of high profile parliamentary/political change programmes in an international landscape.
The RD Africa will report to the Director of Programmes. As a senior member of the Programmes team (and the organisation overall), the RD will participate actively in developing the strategic direction and improving the operational capacity of the organisation.
The opportunity exists to develop the Africa programme through:
- Leading the strategic direction for all WFD programming across the region.
- Providing expert advice on programming – parliamentary strengthening, political party assistance, electoral processes, civil society strengthening, women’s political leadership in the region.
- Identifying new business opportunities in the region.
- Contributing to the research agenda, producing articles and blogs for WFD’s external communications.
- Guiding and inspire a brilliant diverse team based in London and regionally.
- Overseeing the operation of the country offices in the region and oversight of region-wide projects.
- Networking and representing WFD at high profile events, promoting and raising awareness of regional activities.
- Building strong relationships including through collaboration with the UK Political Party Offices and others.
We are keen to hear from you if you have:
- Extensive experience and evidence of delivering similar international development programmes in Africa
- Detailed technical knowledge, understanding and experience of the British political and parliamentary system, the political environment and institutions in Africa, designing and implementing parliamentary strengthening programmes.
- Proficiency in English and one or more other languages.
- Advanced financial and programme management, leadership and communication skills.
This is a UK based role, candidates must have eligibility to work in the UK.
For more information about the position, please download the JOB DESCRIPTION.
How to Apply
Email your CV with a cover letter telling us why you are applying and what makes you a strong candidate for the position to firstname.lastname@example.org by the closing date. Please state clearly the JOB TITLE, LOCATION and YOUR NAME in the email subject when submitting your application.
Closing Date: 18.00 (GMT) 29th April 2019.
Appointments are made on merit and based on fair and open competition. This statement is for information only and does not form part of a contract. Please note: due to the volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.