Westminster Foundation for Democracy (WFD) and the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies of the University of London (IALS-UoL) are happy to announce the launch of the Advanced Certified Course on Post-Legislative Scrutiny.
What is Post-Legislative Scrutiny?
Post-legislative scrutiny, or simply PLS, is the practice used to monitor and evaluate the implementation of legislation, ensuring laws benefit constituents in the way originally intended by lawmakers. PLS is often carried out by parliamentary committees and is a prominent feature of UK parliamentary democracy. From 2017, WFD started to explore how parliaments monitor the implementation of, and review, existing legislation through a series of programme activities around the world.
What are the objectives of the course?
The course explores in-depth the theory and practice of post-legislative scrutiny (PLS) as an oversight tool – it adopts a holistic outlook that places PLS in the legislative cycle.
The course will apply post-legislative scrutiny as a scrutiny tool for gender issues and legislation in key sectors like the environment/climate change or corruption.
Who is the course for?
- Members of Parliament and senior staff of parliaments worldwide
- WFD staff, parliamentary development practitioners, legal and governance experts
- Academics and researchers from universities in the UK and beyond
How will the course be delivered?
- The course will be delivered online using synchronous and a-synchronous methods.
- The course will include online presentations, question & answer sessions, individual or group tasks and presentations from participants.
- Participants will have limited access to a dedicated virtual learning environment where course materials will be available.
- The course will be offered in the English language. All lectures and course materials will be in English.
What will the course cover?
The course will cover a number of topics related to the theory and practice of post-legislative scrutiny, including:
- Scrutiny across the legislative cycle
- Triggers of scrutiny: monitoring, review and sunset clauses
- Gender-sensitive post-legislative scrutiny
- Post-legislative scrutiny of environment and climate change legislation
- Post-legislative scrutiny of corruption legislation
- Post-legislative scrutiny of emergency legislation
- From ex-post scrutiny to new legislation
Who are the speakers?
The speakers will include academics and practitioners from the fields of law, legislative studies, governance, gender, corruption and environmental studies.
When will it take place?
The Advanced Course will take place during the month of July 2021 in online format. It will be delivered every Monday and Friday of the month July, on the following dates: July 2, 5, 9, 12, 16, 19, 23, 26 and 30. Each session will be half-day (9.00 – 11.30 AM – UK times).
Will there be any accreditation?
Participants who follow the entire course will receive a certificate by the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies of the University of London.
What are the fees?
- Full Fee: £650.00.
- Early Bird Fee (until 30 April 2021): £550.00
Reduced fee for participants from Official Development Assistance (ODA)-recipients and staff of WFD, the FCDO, the UK Parliament and the devolved assemblies in the UK.
- Reduced fee: £450.00
- Early bird reduced fee (until 30 April 2021): £375.00
How to register:
Participants should register online (via the ‘Register‘ button at the top right side). After that, complete the Booking Form and New Account Form and email it to Fiona Ferdinand at the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies – Email: Fiona.Ferdinand@sas.ac.uk Note: All invoices must be paid by 1 June 2021.
Staff of WFD, DFID, FCO, Westminster Parliament and the devolved assemblies in the UK who apply for the reduced fee need to email a document of proof of employment along with the booking and customer forms.
Further details on how to join the virtual event will be sent via email to registered attendees closer to the event date.
- Who:WFD and IALS
- When:02 July 2021, 9.00am to 30 Jul 2021, 11.30 am UK time
- WhereOnline Workshop (Zoom)