Thematic Election Expert Mission (TEEOM) to the Gambia
Start of contract:
25 October 2021
End of contract:
10 December 2021
WFD is deploying a Thematic Election Expert Mission to the Gambia to observe the 4 December 2021 presidential elections. The TEEOM will look primarily at issues of gender and inclusion in the electoral process and media freedom in the wider electoral environment, with a cross-cutting focus on online spaces. The TEEOM will be an independent election mission sponsored by the UK Government and conducted at the invitation of Gambia’s Independent Election Commission (IEC). The TEEOM will be carried out in line with the Declaration of Principles for International Election Observation.
The TEEOM will be an expert mission in size and comprise three international experts, two national experts, and two teams of support staff (consisting of one assistant and six monitors per team) dedicated to monitoring traditional and online/social media. The TEOM will be led by the Mission Lead/Gender and Inclusion in Elections Expert who will work alongside a Media Expert and Social Media Expert (both of whom will work remotely), responsible for teams of national support staff. The two national experts will specialise in elections and inclusion issues respectively, the latter focused on youth and national minority groups.
The Mission will analyse and observe the electoral process and wider electoral environment for at least four weeks prior to Election Day (4th December) and one week after polls close. The thematic observation of gender and inclusion, media freedom, and online spaces in the elections will be done applying the newly designed observation methodology. In line with the newly developed methodology the mission will present a detailed and more granular set of recommendations around the thematic focus.
Social Media Monitor will be responsible for:
The social media monitor is responsible for supporting the Social Media Expert and the Social Media Expert Assistant to carry out media monitoring activities. S/he reports directly to the Media Expert.
The role will include the following tasks:
- Undertake full and successful training in the required monitoring duties.
- Undertaking daily monitoring of content on Facebook and other platforms in line with the Social Media Expert’s instructions
- Verification of observations to ensure the highest-quality analysis
- Enters data related to social media monitoring into a data base designed by the Social Media Analyst;
- Translates posts and articles as requested;
- Proactively alerting the Social Media Expert of emerging issues of importance to the Mission online
- Habitual verification of all information provided to the analyst and a willingness to state when and why one’s level of confidence in information is less than 100%
- Fill in for the work of other team members in the event of their absence
- Any other tasks as might be determined by the needs of the mission, as expressed by the Social Media Expert
The consultant will report directly to the Social Media Expert.
- The monitor will work between 25 October 2021 and 10 December 2021
- A degree in Information Technology, Administration, Accounting or another related field
- Full competence with spreadsheet software including Microsoft Excel
- The ability to generate visually compelling graphs and infographics based on data
- A working understanding of Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp, and other social platforms
- Relevant professional experience of at least 1 year
- Be a self-starter comfortable with an evolving workload
- Not be a member of or activist for a political party, in view of the importance of neutrality on the mission
- A familiarity with, or a willingness to quickly obtain familiarity with, terminology relating to elections and social media
- Willingness to work potentially irregular hours given the continually evolving nature of social media content
- The highest regard for the importance of data protection and adherence to both the law and ethical standards in the collection and analysis of data
- A willingness to respond quickly and accurately to requests for information and information verification
- A willingness to be potentially exposed to online content that may be discriminatory or violent in nature for purposes of analysis of the electoral environment