WFD Maldives seeks education expert
Westminster Foundation for Democracy (“WFD”) is the UK public body dedicated to supporting democracy around the world. Operating internationally, WFD works with parliaments, political parties, and civil society groups as well as on elections to help make political systems fairer, more inclusive and more accountable.
We are a problem-solving, practitioner-led organisation that offers:
- Specialist analysis, research, and advice to inform policy makers on a range of democratic governance issues;
- High quality and impactful programmes that directly support the full spectrum of institutions in political systems to develop inclusive political processes, more accountable political systems, protection of rights and freedoms, and more pluralistic societies; and
- International elections observation on behalf of the UK.
All proposals or quotes should be submitted by 11th October 2023 in writing and include:
- The supplier’s name, status, company number, and registered office address
- An overview of the supplier’s relevant experience, expertise, capability and capacity
- A description of the good(s) or service(s) to be provided and clear explanation as to how this meets the specification in this RFQ
- A transparent quotation of the charge for the good(s) or service(s), to include: a clear breakdown of all costs; any proposed discount applied for WFD as a not-for-profit organisation; and a separate identification of any VAT charges (and/or any other applicable tax, excise or other charges).
The same email addresses should be used for any questions related to this RFQ.
WFD (Westminster Foundation for Democracy) began working with the Majlis in July 2019. Enhancing operation of the then new parliamentary oversight committees and to strengthen parliamentary process and practices were the aims of that project, which concluded in March 2021. A new programme commenced in May 2021, and it aims to deepen parliamentary committee strengthening, critically in areas such as National Security and Prevent of Violent Extremism, Decentralization, and Climate Change and Sustainable Development.
In this financial year 2023/24, WFD Maldives aims to work closely with the People’ s Majlis Secretariat to increase transparency and awareness on the workings of the Majlis. As part of this effort, WFD Maldives seeks to increase parliamentary knowledge of students from Key stage 1 to Key stage 4 (Grade 1 to 10) by developing information packs for the Maldives educational curriculum in use.
- Information pack for teachers: By referring to the existing social studies educational curriculum, the consultant is expected to develop information packs that include lesson plans and activities to further engage students and enhance their knowledge of People’s Majlis. The content should be engaging and age-appropriate, made using clear language, visuals, interactive elements and other suitable teaching aids to make the material accessible and appealing to students from Key stage 1 – Key stage 4.
- Curriculum Alignment: Ensure that the information packs align with the existing social studies curriculum and review and incorporate the necessary content related to workings of Majlis and learning outcomes into the packs to ensure seamless integration into the education system.
- Guideline on how to use the information packs: Guideline should outline on how to effectively use the information packs and should be an aid for teaches to use.
- Conducting workshop: Workshop should be conducted for teachers to disseminate the information pack and the guideline.
The duration of the work is 2 months starting from late October 2023.
The consultant will be expected to work under the guidance of Parliament Education Section of the People’s Majlis Secretariat and provide feedback to WFD Maldives Team after each deliverable.
The consultant will work remotely and closely with the WFD – Maldives Country Representative Aryj Hussain.
The total budget of the proposal shall not exceed USD 6,300. Costs of travel overseas and within Maldives and accommodation related to the project will be covered by WFD where necessary.
Minimum experience and expertise
- Proven expertise to analyse, undertake research on parliamentary education, civic education or curriculum development
- Bachelor’s degree or Master’s degree in Education Curriculum Development and/or Political Science
- Previous experience developing training materials for similar projects
- Familiarity with the educational curriculum of Maldives, especially for the social studies curriculum is crucial.